Bruce Warren, WXPN Assistant General Manager for Programming, said, “No other radio station presents such an expansive, commercial-free selection of holiday music as WXPN. Jingle Jams is our non-stop, one-of-a-kind music mix that makes the perfect holiday soundtrack. Our popular on-air holiday features will again include host Helen Leicht’s 12 Days of Christmas and Home for the Holidays special programs, and host Robert Drake will celebrate 20 years of ‘rocking around the clock’ with his live, 24-hour Christmas Eve music marathon. Then we’ll cap off a great year of music and usher in a new one with the 200 best songs of 2013 in our annual Year in Review, as voted by WXPN listeners.”
WXPN holiday music features this year are:
• The Jingle Jams stream will play the “holiday mix to jingle your jangle” 24/7 at xpn2.org starting November 29. Jingle Jams will temporarily replace the XPN2 Singer-Songwriter Radio stream with a wide-ranging mix of holiday music through December 31 (XPN2 Singer Songwriter Radio will return on Wednesday, January 1).
• 12 Days of ‘XPN Local’ Christmas starting on Monday, December 9: Host Helen Leicht presents Philadelphia-area artists performing original holiday songs, with one each day offered as a free WXPN “My Morning Download” available on The Key blog. All will be also be available as a 12-song download.
• 5th Annual ‘XPN Local’ Home for the Holidays special presented by Helen Leicht on XPN Local Tuesday, December 17 at 8 pm; Tuesday, December 24 at 12 pm; and Christmas Day at 10 am: Showcase of many Philadelphia-based musicians including Mutlu, Birdie Busch, John Conahan and Our Griffins, among others, performing their unique versions of holiday songs.
• 20th Annual Edition of ‘The Night Before Christmas’ from midnight to midnight on Tuesday, December 24: Host Robert Drake, who also selects the music heard on Jingle Jams, will host WXPN’s annual live, 24-hour music marathon for the 20th consecutive year. Expect to hear special guests, in-studio performances, and much celebrating amid the holiday music delights.
• 2013 Year in Review on Tuesday, December 31 and Wednesday, January 1 will play the top 200 songs of 2013 as voted by WXPN listeners through December 9. Everyone who votes is automatically entered to win some great prizes. Get complete details and vote here.
WXPN, the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. WXPN produces World Cafe® public radio's most popular program of popular music hosted by David Dye and syndicated by NPR, and the Peabody Award-winning Kids Cornerhosted by Kathy O'Connell. WXPN also produces the XPN2 Singer-Songwriter Radio stream as its secondary radio channel in HD. WXPN serves the greater Philadelphia area at 88.5 FM, the Lehigh Valley at 104.9, Worton/Baltimore at 90.5 FM, Lancaster/York at 88.7 FM, Harrisburg at 99.7 FM and the world via online streaming at XPN.org.