Participating Shaking Through artists will be given the opportunity to make high-end audio and video recordings of their original music with production resources provided by Weathervane Music. These recordings will then be released online at WeathervaneMusic.org and XPN.org and promoted on the radio and in other formats by WXPN including on-air features, live concerts, podcasts and social media promotion.
“There is currently no incentive for record labels to invest in unknown artists because they typically don’t sell records and labels simply cannot make money off of them,” said Brian McTear, Weathervane Music Executive Director. “What we’ve done at Weathervane is come up with a new model to support and promote independent music by providing high quality production resources to artists that would normally not receive attention from for-profit record labels. We then teamed up with WXPN to expose these artists’ work to a larger audience.”
Over the next two years, 15-20 independent artists will be selected to participate in Shaking Through and will complete a total of 20 projects, which will be released on the third Tuesday of each month. Approximately 70 percent of the artists will be new, emerging or unknown and 30 percent will be previously established or well known. In keeping with Weathervane and WXPN’s commitment to their own local music community, approximately 30 percent of Shaking Through artists will be from the greater Philadelphia region. The first three Shaking Through artists are Brooklyn-based singer-songwriter Sharon Van Etten, Chicago folk-pop group Sonoi and Philadelphia’s own Strapping Field Hands.
“This partnership speaks directly to our mission of connecting artists with audiences and will help further the public’s knowledge and appreciation of new music,” said Roger LaMay, WXPN General Manager. “We strongly support Weathervane’s model of fostering independent musicians and helping artists with their first steps in breaking into the music industry, and have made a significant financial and resource commitment to this partnership.”
Shaking Through artists will be chosen by guest curators, acclaimed artists or producers who may also work on the production of the recordings, and an Artist Selection Committee. Guest curators will be responsible for selecting 60 percent of the artists and the Artist Selection Committee will name the remaining 40 percent of artists. The 2010 Shaking Through guest curators include Daniel Smith of Danielson and Scott McMicken of Dr. Dog.
Today’s launch event will include remarks from WXPN and Weathervane representatives and various musicians, Shaking Through logo reveal and a live performance by Sharon Van Etten. In addition, Weathervane and WXPN will reveal the video component of Sharon Van Etten’s Shaking Through project. This event will be broadcast online via a live webcast at www.XPN.org.
“Shaking Through is another extension of our commitment to community engagement,” said LaMay. “We look forward to helping artists hone and develop their craft and sharing their work with our established community of listeners and supporters.”
WXPN, the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots, and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. WXPN produces World Cafe®, public radio's most popular program of popular music hosted by David Dye and syndicated by NPR, and the Peabody Award winning Kids Corner hosted by Kathy O'Connell. WXPN also produces the alternative rock service, Y-Rock On XPN as its secondary radio channel in HD that is also available online. WXPN serves the greater Philadelphia area at 88.5 FM, the Lehigh Valley at 104.9, Worton/Baltimore at 90.5 FM, Lancaster/York at 88.7 FM, Harrisburg at 99.7 FM, and the world via online streaming at XPN.org.
About Weathervane Music Organization
Weathervane Music Organization is a community supported non-profit organization making music and video that supports and advances the careers of amazing independent musicians, both locally and from around the world. WV created The Project Series to enlighten the public about the vision, planning, and creative processes that go into great works of art in music, and to inspire a renewed cultural attitude toward supporting the people who make the music we love. Weathervane Music is a project of PositiveSpace, a 501(c)(3) artist organization located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.