Created on Monday, 19 December 2011 14:00
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – It’s the most wonderful time of the year and today WXPN, the nationally-recognized leader in Triple A (Adult Album Alternative) music and noncommercial radio service of the University of Pennsylvania, announced its programming highlights for the holidays.
- Once again, Robert Drake will be rocking the Christmas bells and decking the halls during the 18th annual edition of The Night Before on XPN. The 24 hour holiday music marathon will start on December 24 at midnight and end at midnight on December 25. The program will feature a rebroadcast of Helen Leicht’s Home for the Holidays special at 10 a.m. and a special one hour Ben Vaughn Holiday Show that will air at 5 p.m.
- On Sunday, December 25, John Diliberto will host a special Sleepy Hollow Christmas Morning show from 6 to 8 a.m. Keith Brand will take over the XPN airwaves from 8 a.m. to noon. From noon to 2 p.m., XPN will rebroadcast the World Cafe® Christmas Special.
- David Dye will play back the best World Cafe® studio sessions from 2011 during the World Cafe® Best of Week, which will kick off on Monday, December 26 with St. Vincent and The Decemberists. The week will continue with Steve Miller and Elton John & Leon Russell interviewed by Michaela Majoun on Tuesday, December 27; Bon Iver and Dawes on Wednesday, December 28 and Adele and Nick Lowe on Thursday, December 29. On Friday, December 30, Dye will play the best albums of 2011 and provide a glimpse of some of the best music coming in 2012. The sessions will air Monday-Friday from 2 to 4 p.m.
- The annual WXPN Year in Review will kick off on Tuesday, December 27 and will air through Tuesday, January 3. WXPN will play back the Top 10 Albums and Top 100 Songs of 2011 as voted by the XPN audience. Top ranking albums will air December 27-30 starting at 10 a.m. and songs air on January 1 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and again on January 3 starting at 6 a.m.
- Ring in the New Year on Saturday, December 31 with WXPN’s Program Director Bruce Warren and his Rockin’ New Years Eve show from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. followed by the Echoes Chillout Show from 1 to 3 a.m.
- Dan Reed’s annual Progressive Rock Festival returns on Saturday, January 7 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. featuring the best prog rock.
“We are celebrating the most wonderful time of the year with the best music of the year,” said Warren. “We hope listeners tune-in to hear our special programs and have safe and happy holidays.”
WXPN, the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. WXPN produces World Cafe® public radio’s most popular program of popular music hosted by David Dye and syndicated by NPR, and the Peabody Award winning Kids Corner hosted by Kathy O’Connell. WXPN also produces the alternative rock service, XPN2 as its secondary radio channel in HD. WXPN serves the greater Philadelphia area at 88.5 FM, the Lehigh Valley at 104.9, Worton/Baltimore at 90.5 FM, Lancaster/York at 88.7 FM, Harrisburg at 99.7 FM and the world via online streaming at XPN.org.